Want to build more agility into your leadership style? Joseph shares his insights in this segment of his leadership series. His biggest tips: Learn to adjust your communication style to different modes of communication and listen to understand context.
“Today’s leaders by far have to be able to listen,” he said. “Every conversation needs to be put into its proper context.”
If I had to pick a preferred leadership style that I would say it is more of an agile style. There are some core principles that you need to have:
- You need to be an excellent communicator
- You need to communicate in various modes, whether that’s email, Twitter, or verbal communications
- You need to adjust your style
- And you must have a baseline of communication
- I think the other thing that’s critically important is your ability to listen. I think today’s leaders by far must be able to listen because it allows you to understand context.
Every conversation that you’re having with an individual in today’s world needs to be put into its proper context.
To do that as a leader, your listening skills have to really be honed if you want to get the best out of your employees.